Thursday, December 18, 2008

Wild Goose Chase

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately. Some sort of hard reflection on the situation that I am in. The issue has stretched me in more ways that I can imagine and at time made me feel like a person being stuck in a hole.

Right now I am reaping the benefits of addressing difficult issues, not nudging them with threats of murder, but with a simple and personal e-mail. It all had to do with discrimination and how the smaller and insignificant workers were neglected. They were the ones who worked the hardest and deserved their share of respect.

"We don't consider both of you as full-time workers" was the juncture that fumed me. How could they when these two workers were were in fact working full-time in the church, which the only difference was they handled administration duties. It made no sense to me. I guess it was because the financial situation of the church will be effected by the issue at hand. But that does not seem to be the fact.

The headquarters had already issued a bill of amendment stating that churches were to increase the pay of all full-time workers because of the economic situation. I applaud them for this because they have the pastor's and other worker's financial interest at hand.

So based on those 'facts' I wrote a personal e-mail addressing the issue of why our administration staffs were not considered full-time workers and therefore not eligible for the increment that was amended beforehand.

Sure it was 'harsh' (please note that there were no swear words involved) in some ways but I was just frustrated and it all seemed unfair to say the least. But it was a personal e-mail and directed to just one person. There was no intention to spread this to a host of people. Everything was done in secrecy, between me and the receiver at that point that is.

A week after I sent the email the recipient replied back with a "thank you for your letter" intention. I marked that as a relief because we can't find those types of leaders anymore, those that value criticism but are willing to listen. But where childish antics are concerned I soon found out that the letter that was given in private was being reprinted and being addressed out of the context that it was intended to be.

Right now I don't have the power to change people's mind about how the look at me. This post is just to salvage some peace of mind and the things that I have been struggling through. I know that the church has let me down in more ways than one but I am still for the church and Jesus' message need not be deterred for that matter.

I am not really happy with how the leaders have dealt with the issue. Right now I am not part of that church at the moment but I do have very fond memories of how they have helped me in my growth as a Christian. It does seem different now and I feel the turn of events have been a catalyst in altering a new path in new things.

Let me end it with this verse

1Jn 3:18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.





4 comments:

Timothy Lee said...

i understand...

Anonymous said...

Nowadays its hard to find people who wants to listen or who wants to find the truth. They like PEACE!!!! I pray that God remove them! and if i am wrong, i pray that god have mercy on me.

Tremonti said...

Haha. Well according to the email before there was supposed to be a meeting held with the council and all fulltime workers which obviously didn't occur. That would have surely cleared some air and clarified the issue in a mature way. I guess the saying is true...age doesn't make you a man, or in our case age doesn't make you a good leader.

Anonymous said...

and having positions in an organisation doesnt mean that you are a leader neither.

Hopeful Theo

My photo
OIL TOWN, SWK, Malaysia
I'm a student of Theology (currently and will always be one). I'm a student of culture and a student of music as well. I guess you could say life is a never ending journey of learning. Because of that we never stop being students. Just a little something about this blog: Deconstructing The Monkey is all about being a safe space for emerging conversations