Thursday, January 1, 2009

Wright responds to Piper...Finally




I have been waiting when N. T Wright would respond to John Piper's book "The Future of Justification: A Response to N. T. Wright". This is good news for me as I will be saving up money to get both these books and read them together. I am an avid fan of both authors (but for biased sake I am a bigger fan of Wright). But fan fare aside, I believe both voices are worth listening to, grappling with, agreeing and disagreeing with in light of the biblical text. Let the Justification conversation begin.

Here is a recommendation from I. Howard Marshall:

"This book is a magisterial response to the recent spate of criticism directed at Tom Wright for his theology of justification. He introduces readers to the debate and outlines his position without engaging in polemic against his opponents. This sprightly and gracious, yet robust, work is Tom Wright's carefully argued and scripturally based response to those who think that he has deeply misunderstood Paul's doctrine of justification… This is definitely one of the most exciting and significant books that I have read this year… Strongly commended!"

The title of Wright's book is "Justification: God's Plan and Paul's Vision". According to the book will soon be published by SPCK (in the UK, Feb 2009) and by IVP (in the USA, July 2009).

So if you are fan get the book because you are a fan. If you have no clue of who N. T. Wright is take a gamble or search him on the the internet. He is one of the most engaging New Testament scholars who can write popular as well as scholarly books (a rare combination indeed). And I must add that he has given me more appreciation of the bible and the mission of God. His treatment of explaining Jesus' mission and call is absolutely amazing (you might even be reintroduced to Jesus again for the first time). So if you are simply curious about the doctrine Justification or what the fuss is all about on this doctrine do read Wright.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I wasn't sure whether it was a good idea for John Piper to take on N T Wright. It looked like a David versus Goliath situation!

But I'm very impressed with Wright's humility that he found time to respond to John Piper bearing in mind that in terms of credentials, the former pawned (to borrow a contemporary euphemism) the latter.

So, yes this will be a very interesting conversation to watch. Nice blog you have there and it seems that our journey parallels each other at some points.

Hopeful Theo

My photo
OIL TOWN, SWK, Malaysia
I'm a student of Theology (currently and will always be one). I'm a student of culture and a student of music as well. I guess you could say life is a never ending journey of learning. Because of that we never stop being students. Just a little something about this blog: Deconstructing The Monkey is all about being a safe space for emerging conversations